Thursday, September 1, 2011

Actually Communicating and Cooking!

So, today’s post is sooner than otherwise planned- actually it was completely unscheduled. Had a very efficient workday, with dedicated communication work, only to end with a naïve round of cooking. Considering it was a long working day, with more to continue later, I thought of keeping dinner rather simple; and just as I was about to begin, Ak decided that it was worth writing about. Out came the camera- and I figured that my artless, vague menu was up for some excitement .



Dinner tonight was my take on the Warm Potato Salad (with a combination of ingredients I found in the fridge) and one of my favourite recipes- the BRB Seekh Kebab. The salad is something I was just planning to make on the go- an offshoot from my warped knowledge of the one with the yoghurt dressing and the chinese one with capers- they are both too strong in flavours. I wanted something simpler, that you can’t get sick of eating too much of- considering it is not an accompaniment. The kebabs have been tried, tested and appreciated in all forms; as an appetizer, an accompaniment to a main course and today, as the main course itself  (I thank Anuj for this one each time I make it- I don’t quite remember it from that BRB dinner over 7 years ago, but my own version of it seems to go down well).

For the Warm Potato Salad, ingredients: (approximate quantities)
Around 200 g Baby Potatoes, boiled in salted water (not peeled)
3-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Finely chopped Garlic (3-4 cloves)
Chopped Zuchini (1/2)
Chopped Yellow Bell Pepper (1/2)
Chopped Spring Onions
Chopped Fresh Parsley
A few cherry tomatoes (just to add some colour)
Juice of half a lemon
Salt, pepper and Dried Herbs- Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano
p.s. The selection of vegetables was purely for colour, texture and from what I thought would work with the potatoes. The reason for using potatoes- Ak once told me he loves them J. I love baby potatoes too- they are just so much less potatoish! Also, I would have loved to add a dried red chilly to this, to add some joy- but couldn’t find one (a moment when I realised I don’t know the kitchen well enough yet L )
















Heat the oil and garlic, on medium heat and throw in the zucchini and green onions. Add the dried herbs and cook for about 30 seconds more, finally adding the peppers and potatoes. Sauté for just about a minute, only to ensure it is mixed well. Transfer to a bowl, add the chopped parsley, the lime juice, mix lightly and top up with the cherry tomatoes. Beyond the taste, I personally loved the blend of colours!
















For the BRB Kebabs, ingredients: (absolutely approximate quantities)
(I hadn’t planned to document this one- hence the ingredients are not shot separately)
150-200g mutton seekh, sliced into smaller pieces
4 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
4 Tablespoons Cream (the original uses malai)
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Red Chilli Sauce (not in the original recipe)
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 Tsp Dried Coriander Powder (sookha dhania)
1/4 Tsp Dried Fenugreek Powder (sookhi methi)
1/4 Tsp Cinnamon Powder (not in the original recipe)
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala (mixed indian spices) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala
1/4 Tsp roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera)
1 Finely chopped onion and some coriander to garnish

















Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours (lesser time is perfectly fine- It just gets better with a longer duration of the marinade). Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat for about a minute, and cook the kebabs until they transform to a brownish colour. (takes about 10 minutes maximum). Transfer to the serving dish and garnish with onion and coriander. Our meal was finished with some freshly toasted multi-grain bread…and finally some cookies and cream (thanks to akshay...). The pleasures of a good day! 
p.p.s I know I planned to develop my photography skills, but right now Ak seems to be enjoying it, I love the outcome and I haven’t figured the best way to do this all by myself in limited time. But I will not give up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment