Saturday, November 19, 2011

Finally, The Strawberry Shortcake

















I think I am coming to terms with this blog. Maybe, very soon I will stop ranting about how I didn’t want to really write about what I cooked and how I needed to take that step to get up and actually write. I just realised that every few weeks, when I haven’t managed to write something, I find myself thinking of trying something new and writing about it. My life has transformed into something new- a new routine, and a lot to do. Winter is also here, along with the wedding season- I love this time of the year. The meeting people- sometimes pleasant and sometimes not so much, the music, the dressing up, the highly celebrated traditional Indian wedding ceremonies, sometimes over the top- I love it all. Although it just means, that we are hardly eating at home. Therefore, the opportunity to cook is reduced tremendously. I think, very soon, I will do a simple post about regular dal-chawal; comfort food that I always find myself turning to, after a few days of eating out.

         Coming back to the blog, today’s post however, is the much talked about and the 'repeatedly mentioned on this blog' strawberry cake. I have permission from K aunty to share this recipe with others and she really wants other people to enjoy it too! So here it is; I hope to perfect it soon…
“Doubtless God could have made a better berry (than the strawberry), but doubtless God never did”
William Butler


For the cake,
1 cup Maida (flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2  tsp Baking Powder
4 eggs

Beat the eggs and the sugar till they become frothy
Sieve the flour 4 to 5 times ,then fold it into the egg mixture, not stirring it,
But Folding it, little by little (cutting and bringing it up from the bottom)
Put it in the pre heated oven- 275 to 300 degrees
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until it is nicely risen. Only poke to see when it is browned on top .

For the icing with strawberries,
1/2  kg cream
4 to 5 tablespoons sugar

Beat till the cream becomes stiff,
Chop strawberries and divide into half and keep aside.
Take the sponge cake, slice horizontally into in half and pour some milk all over to keep it soft.
Add a layer of cream and strawberries. Put the other half of the cake on top and then put a layer of cream. Decorate with the remaining strawberries.

p.s as an after thought, i wonder, what would the results be, if i added some red wine to the cream mixture?
will post soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment