Monday, December 26, 2011

Apple Pie Parcels- More Puff Pastry!


Garfield: I love the smell of Cinnamon Apple in the morning. It smells like victory. 
The world may think I am crazy, but nothing satisfies my heart more than a nice, fancy, slightly elaborate dessert; a combination of warm and cold/ of sweet and savoury. My last post may have been an overdose of puff pastry- all the excess that I tried to make use of. But I didn’t stop there!
On this cold and wintery night, while I was at it, celebrating with puff pastry, how could I not make some dessert? Apart from the few Chocolat Twisties, I definitely wanted to try something else. Since, I was also on the using up the excess mode, I decided to use an apple that was screaming at me from the fridge. The Christmas spirit was in the air, and I thought why not make something with some spices. I love the IPad Baking App- someday I hope to try out the all the recipes. For anyone with an ipad, you must download this app here
I had seen the chocolate filo parcels here, which looked very tempting. As always, since I didn’t have the filo pastry, I decided to make Apple Pie parcels- with Puff pastry instead. Since I was in a mood to celebrate, I even decided to make a dip as an accompaniment- a cinnamon dip to celebrate the victory. The end product was magnificent, if I may say so myself. Ak loved it, and so much so, we decided to call over the other AK (the brother), to have a taste of this wonderful discovery. AK has always never liked the apple pie that I have baked- primarily because of the crust. But this time, He approved it too! So much so, that he wanted to take a doggy bag home for breakfast (alongwith some puff pastry wraps).
Overall, an extremely gratifying meal to celebrate the victory!
p.s. Feel Free to use the leftover dip as an accompaniment to other desserts, I would recommend a brownie or if you are feeling lazy like me the next day, when the parcels have run out- just pour over some chocos/cereal...to have a healthy breakfast/dessert.


For the Apple Pie Parcels;
Puff Pastry
Flour

The Filling (for about 8 parcels)
½ Teaspoon Powdered Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Powdered Nutmeg
1 apple chopped
2 Table spoons Brown Sugar
1 Table spoon Butter
Heat the butter and add the sugar into it. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg, and finally the chopped apples. Heat for about 2-3 minutes till the apples get caramelized.

Spread some flour on a flat surface or counter and Roll the Puff Pastry flat on a counter, thinning out as one goes along. Once it has been flattened out, cut squares, about 3-4 inches in size.
Place the filling in the centre, and roll up the ends, without closing the parcel. Line them in muffin tins or on a baking tray and bake at about 200 degrees C until they turn golden brown.


For the Cinnamon Dip (for about 8 parcels)
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Castor Sugar
10-12 Tablespoons Double Cream/ or whipped cream
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for about an hour.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, am not a very big fan of apple desserts but this sure looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why don't you come over and try some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a very good pie crust that uses butter. The dough is only combined until all the flour has been hydrated. It resembles a very coarse meal padded together. It makes the best pies, very flaky. I'll check that out. You are right; this crust works best when the filling is not very watery, such as apple pie. Paul, yes; after each fold (turn) the dough must be rerolled before it can be folded again. Puff & Pie

    ReplyDelete