Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Warm Chutneyed Baby Potatoes


My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with. 
Oprah Winfrey 

I don’t like potatoes.
Don’t get me wrong, I am a complete potato chips/crisps/fries/hash browns/baked potatoes etc. addict, but I don’t like the way potatoes are used in traditional Indian Cooking, just as a side dish. For me, it disrespects the vegetable that the potato is accompanying, and of course, the potato itself. The flavors of both the vegetables end up getting compromised, and it all just doesn’t come together in my head.
It’s almost like the plight of a 25-30 year old ‘single’ girl, who without a man in company, is, kind of considered, incomplete. The thing that is missed however is that, it really is ok to be single.
And yes, that should be the life of Dear potato. We must appreciate it, and love it in its singular form!

Ak loves baby potatoes, and I kind of like them too. I usually like to use them in the form of a salad (one of the recipes can be found here), but on a day when I was making regular Indian food, with dal and rice, I thought of making something, a bit more Indian. Using some remnants of Green chutney in the fridge, I was hoping to add some zing and of course, use up the green chutney. This warm, chutneyed baby potato dish can be tried with regular potatoes too, but I think, the thin potato peel of the baby potatoes, adds a third dimension to the dish. Both my Mom, and mom-in law make something similar, with full potatoes, and this recipe I guess, is adapted from a bit of both, and is an adaptation of the traditional jeera aloo. Can be served as an easy accompaniment to Indian food, both as a main course, or as a snack as well. Enjoy!

300g Baby Potatoes, Boiled and Chopped into halves
2-3 Table spoons Green Chutney (Home made or Readymade)
1/2 Teaspoon Roasted Dried Cumin or Fresh (I use a bit of both- for better flavouring)
3 Tablespoons Yoghurt
Salt
Pepper
Red Chillies (to taste)
2 Spring Onions, Finely Chopped
1 Tablespoon Oil
Heat the oil, and roast the cumin seeds for about a minute.
Add the boiled potatoes, until they get well coated with the oil and cumin. Cook on medium Flame.
Add the Green Chutney, Salt, Pepper and Red Chillies. Mix well and continue to cook on low flame.
Add the Yoghurt and mix again, so that the yoghurt blends in well with the potatoes.
Finally, add the spring onions, and cook for another minute or so. Serve.

2 comments: