Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WILD RICE WITH VEGETABLES


On a recent trip to the hills, on the way back we stopped by at one of Ak’s favourite stores- Himjoli.
No matter how often the trips are, this visit is like a visit to the Temple, that we cannot avoid. Ak loves the jams, I – the herbs. My first tasting was of their scrubs, and cosmetics, when I had initially met Ak, and now, we restrict our share to the foodie yield. Quite often, our pantry is stocked with enough of an assortment of products, despite us constantly sharing the stuff with both sides of the family. Almost, well, actually Everyone has loved the products- from the flavourings, to the jams etc. I must say, their stuff is quite good. My personal Favorite is the Himalayan Herb Salt- adds some wonderful flavors to anything and everything! The only one thing that one must be vary of, which was a tip shared with us recently, was  the date of expiry- some of the products at the store- could be expired or due to expire soon.

So, back to the last trip, Ak insisted we pick up some ‘Wild Red Rice’. Personally, I really like Brown Rice, or Wild rice, or rice in any form- But I know that a lot of people don’t appreciate the healthier forms of rice. I was quite surprised on his keenness to try it out, and hence, jumped at the opportunity to pick up a packet.

And am I glad that I did! I am a complete rice person- plain, basmati, sticky, jasmine- I could have rice every day. But with this new discovery to into the healthy rice world, I am quite pleased with the results, of a great, HEALTHY meal. So much so, that even though I had made this for the first time quite a while back, and have just managed to write down the post, I was recently asked to make it again on a sick day, as comfort food. That- I think, is a big deal, and a significant compliment to the dish.

To be honest, I didn’t test out the recipe that was written on the back of the packet. By simply adding a few vegetables, and some basic kitchen ingredients, and slow cooking it like a risotto, and a salad as an accompaniment, I think I may have a new visitor to our list of regular meals.
For all the Health Freaks- I totally recommend it.
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
1.5 Cups of Wild Rice
4 Cups water
2-3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) (can be substituted by garlic powder)
1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Capsicum, cut into pieces
100 g corn (steamed)
2 Spring Onions (finely chopped)
1 cube of vegetarian stock (I use the maggi ones)
1 Tablespoon Soya Sauce
3 Table spoons Tomato Puree (fresh is better) (You could use a substitute such as pasta sauce as well)
Some Chopped Rocket
Other vegetables such as broccoli, yellow pepper etc – optional
Heat the oil in a wide, non stick pan, and sauté the garlic until its golden.
Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the rice and heat on medium flame, until golden.
Add the water, and cook covered for about 10 minutes on medium flame.
Add the stock cube and let it dissolve.
Let the rice cook, covered, on medium flame, slowly stirring occasionally.

2 comments:

  1. nice recipe and a healthy one too ! Never cooked with wild rice before- must try if I get hold of it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! do let me know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete